Friday, October 3, 2008

Sorry for the Surplus of Political Rants!

I don't really mean to shove politics down the throats of the few people who actually read this, but I am not someone who (without being prompted) will discuss politics in person. If I'm prompted, of course I respond--but more or less diplomatically. This is my outlet for rants/thoughts/articles/videos I've seen. As far as I know, the majority of my family (immediate and extended) is likely to vote for McCain. I'm not voting against them to be nonconformist. I also understand that voting for Obama seems to be the "cool" thing to do amongst people my age. 99% of the professors I respected most or knew the most about government and politics (all of my history professors and government teacher) at Hday and at Rhodes are voting for Obama. That's not why I'm interested in Obama. I don't like to make uninformed decisions. I've literally spent hours upon hours researching both candidates and their running mates, videos, news articles, issue by issue, votehelp.com (one of the sites that will tell you where your opinions mostly fall with either candidate), etc.

I understand that John McCain was a POW. I respect that. I don't see that being the best factor in making him president. I was listening to NPR yesterday and they had a call-in session for opinions on the experience of both Obama and John McCain. One man called in and said he had also been a POW for 5 years (this was an older gentleman) and he said that gave him great respect for McCain, but said nothing about how he would run our country--even in a time of war (especially when he will not consent to creating a timeline to remove the troops from Iraq.) Two boys in my theatre class at school just got called up (they're in the reserves) and neither of them have a desire for this war to continue. They're in the military to pay for school and they said the majority of those in their training camp were planning to vote for Obama. The war has put our economically screwed up nation in even greater debt, and not only have we done very little to aid Iraq, you just can't fight terrorism. Yes, I'm glad we've upped airport security and border security. Newsflash: this is not Austin Powers. There isn't one huge conglomerate of world terrorists who conspire monthly to attack a random place in the world. Terrorism is a concept, not a nation or group of people. By all means, help our security. In foreign affairs, diplomacy is the best policy.

What's in a name?
Stop calling Barack "B. Hussein Obama." Why does it matter what his middle name is? What's Sarah Palin's middle name? Or John McCain's? It's a name. He didn't pick it. It doesn't mean he's a terrorist. It doesn't mean he's Muslim.

Muslim, Really?
Since I'm not a huge fan of religion intermingling with politics (just as politics shouldn't enter a church..), I'm not bothered particularly by all of this, but I know people who are. Jeremiah Wright (a pastor previously VERY well respected by conservative activists) was Obama's pastor (of a church he has since left and has publicly disagreed with.) Beyond this, those clips were taken out of context (though I agree they shouldn't have been said at all.) Obama's a Christian. He goes to church (reportedly) every Sunday. McCain (reportedly) does not. Anyone care to know what James Dobson has to say about McCain? Dobson says 'no way' to McCain Candidacy

Social Issues
I'm socially liberal. I would never have an abortion and believe you should accept the possibility and responsibility of creating a child, but I do not think the government would do anyone any favors by making abortions illegal. It's not going to make anyone more responsible and it will just lead to more self-induced abortions. Both John McCain and Barack Obama support civil unions. Neither of them adamantly speak of gay marriage rights (I believe both are against.) Both Sarah Palin and Joe Biden support civil unions as well.

Where They Stand on the Issues
How much controversy have you heard about Obama flipflopping on the issues? How much have you heard about McCain? (For a master list of flipflops, see here, here, and here.)

VPs
Joe Biden: is the senior United States Senator from Delaware. He is both the Democratic vice presidential nominee for the November 2008 election and a candidate for re-election in the U.S. Senate. Biden was first elected to the Senate in 1972, and became the fifth-youngest senator in U.S. history. He was re-elected to the Senate in 1978, 1984, 1990, 1996, and 2002, and has served for the sixth-longest period among current senators. Biden is a long-time member and current chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee.
Sarah Palin: My favorite streaky highlights/hockey mom/betcha gonna/former mayor of a town of 9,000/Alaska's proximity to Russia makes me an expert on foreign policy "It's just separated by a small maritime border"/beat around the bush/creationism taught in schools/talk about inexperience: flipflopped on the Bride to Nowhere. Pentecostal. So terrible at speaking/sounding remotely intelligent that SNL was able to directly quote chunks of her interview with Katie Couric without any rewriting. Hyper conservative with a pregnant, unwed 17 year old daughter. Really? Jack Cafferty on Sarah Palin.

Furthermore, with headlines like these:

U.S. Sheds 159,000 Jobs; 9th Straight Monthly Drop


Why Do Democrats Bring More Jobs?

[How can we afford not to vote for change?]

Most importantly:
Register to Vote
www.rockthevote.com



[END RANT]:)


2 comments:

Katelyn said...

I LOVE reading your blogs! I'm glad some people can talk about politics maturely without being rude and hateful.

tarheeltexan said...

I just wanted to say i loved reading your blog! It's so you I could hear you speaking and that was nice since we have not seen/talked to each other in forever! I also enjoyed the political side...you've got good points on a lot of that stuff and you talk about it maturely. I'm glad you are happy and enjoying the shows--let me know what you figure out as far as school goes too! Are you in a show in dallas now? Because I am actually coming home for Fall Break October 15-18...if you are in one.

Lots of Love,

Katherine