Monday, December 12, 2011

Blue Christmas

There's nothing terribly magical about Christmas in Dallas. Living in the Northeast over the past few months has taught me a number of things--most notably, perhaps, that we Texans are pretty aesthetically deprived when it comes to scenery. We effectively only have two "seasons": summer, and ugly not-summer. And yet, my favorite time of year since I was very young has been Christmastime. I loved the music and baked goods and presents (of course). I loved Christmas at Northpark mall with the 12 days of Christmas and Scrooge and children's choirs singing holiday music. I loved Advent time because it has the prettiest hymns in the Episcopalian hymnal. I loved Advent Family Sunday. I loved it when Lola Dill (my wonderful piano teacher) let me start playing Christmas music and not just Baroque and Classical. I loved stuffing my face with sand tarts and Grandmother's tea cakes (they are NOT sugar cookies, just so you know.) But most of all I loved the time spent with family. I grew up with (and still have) the best family in the world. There are lots of us (on both sides) and we all enjoy the following: time together, games (especially cards and Monopoly on my mom's side and fun holiday games on my dad's), the Muppet Christmas Carol, (A Christmas Story on my mom's side--though I don't share this love) and food. Lots and lots of food. I love my family's Christmas traditions: the beautiful brass service Christmas Eve at the church, Brunch at our house Christmas morning, and days spent in food-comas from every variety of home-cooked goodness, casseroles, and most importantly mashed potatoes. In later years, I loved the tradition of bringing my best friends from high school (both of whom happened to be Jewish) to family Christmas. Which brings me to the very best part of Christmases past: Grandmama. She pretty much embodied everything wonderful about the holidays. Selflessness, love, charity, and a kind of purity that is unparalleled and I suspect singular to her. She LOVED Christmas--every aspect of it. What it represents, the music, the way it brings people together, and the time spent with family. And she always strove (and succeeded) to make it perfect. So it was. And maybe I was so determined last year to be strong at Christmas without her and simultaneously distracted by having a boyfriend and juggling his Christmas with my own that I couldn't be upset or really let myself miss her. Maybe I felt the need to put on a happy face for the rest of the family. In fact, I'm sure we all did. But this year much more than last year at this time, I find myself thinking about her and wishing I could share with her what I'm doing with my life and how happy I am and how well my sister and I get along now that we're a little older and establishing our own lives (but she knew that would happen) and how I can't wait to be home with her for the holidays and hug her wonderful self and smell perfume from her Christmas vests and go to Northpark for an epic Christmas shopping spree that lasts the whole day. Because the truth is: it will never be the same. I still have the same wonderful family and we all love each other very much and we all share such wonderful memories, but we have to establish a new normal. Which we're capable of. And we will do. And I know Grandmama's daughters will continue the traditions and the magic (after all, she raised them and it's in their blood). And I know that my two newest cousins, Henry and Heidi, are helping heal the hurt and fill in some of that magic that left with Grandmama. And I know I will still have a wonderful Christmas and I can't wait to be home with my family.

And I know that the new normal will be okay.

We will make it so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m glad you fondly remember Advent family night. I remember talking about it with your mom and we agreed to try it; became important to both of us to participate each year. One thing: After you had gone to bed Christmas Eve, I would vacuum pine needles and your mom then made quite an effort to carefully
arrange and display your presents from the very earliest Christmas Eve each year of your life. When you awoke Christmas morning you were always enchanted. Also: Since the religion teaches that saints work on our behalf,
Grandmama actively works this day for you; Charles as well. Powerful friends. The sand tarts were Granny’s specialty. Grandmama was once a little girl and had a grandmother, too. If memory serves the teacakes were Ruby’s recipe. Make them for your own grandkids someday: Continuity. …Glad you’re happy. Best

Anonymous said...

Oh, KB! I love you so much! You're right...It will never be quite the same. This blog brought tears to my eyes just thinking about it! But, we will indeed keep working on our new normal being fabulous in it's own way! Can't wait to have you home, even if for just a little bit! XOXOXO, dearie! Aunt Kara

Anonymous said...

Come play with Heidi and Henry when you're home, too! You will not believe how cute Henry is walking around and Heidi is quite a singer. Can't wait to see you and hear about your Fall. We love you! Valerie