Saturday, November 17, 2007

August Rush


Hello from the Big D--

I write to you from my humble abode in the great suburb of Dallas that is Garland. I'm currently watching When Harry Met Sally, I got a pair of $150 boots marked down to $25 dollars at the mall today, I had a free meal (thank you mom), and I saw a sneak preview of the film August Rush.

So far, it's been a pretty decent break.

Anyway, now for my criticism of the film. If you're looking for a decent family holiday flick, see this film. Be my guest. There are plenty of people raving about this film. At my sneak preview, people clapped. Sadly enough, my mother cried.

However, I must warn you that if you're any sort of musician it will do one of two things:
1) Fill your heart with the utmost joy that there's a film about your love/appreciation of music and it's represented in the adorable grin of Freddie Highmore.
OR
2) You will be annoyed with time inaccuracies, poor conducting, the visibility of body mics, an unimaginative-run of the mill-ode to idealized Greenwich village-esque score, and a cliche, incoherent plot.

Keri Russell's character (Lyra--how appropriate for a musical film!) is a cellist pressured by her father. Johnathan Rhys Meyers (Lewis) is in a band with his overbearing brother. The two run away from familial pressures, hear Robin Williams play "Moondance" on a harmonica, and fall in love on a rooftop. Due to various (spoiler related...) matters, the two become separated, Lyra becomes pregnant, and doesn't know she has a son. Meanwhile, poor little Freddie Highmore (putting on a half American accent) runs away from an orphanage to a vacant theatre to live with Robin Williams (an exceptionally creepy Fagan-esque character) and a bunch of child prodigies. Freddie gets discovered, conducts the orchestra, Keri and Johnathan "hear" his music, and the family becomes reunited. Goodie gumdrops.

What really kills me is that the film had so much potential. I very much relate to Highmore's character. Granted, I certainly wasn't a child prodigy by any means, but I do relate to the way the character describes living feeling and living through music. I walk in beat to the music in the mall. I turn street sounds into a symphony. If there is any sound in the room (even the light ticking of a clock) I start dancing (look at my hands and feet, I'm generally dancing or conducting). I see the world through sound. This is why I was so excited about the film; not only did someone get it, they were going to portray it in a film for millions to see! Never again would I have to spend hours staring at confused faces when describing my passion for music! I could simply say--oh, you know, Freddie Highmore in August Rush? That's how I see things.

(Me as August Rush. So maybe it's not the Philharmonic, but it is my high school orchestra.)

Alas, they failed. The music was not cohesive (in places that could have truly produced MAGIC), the plot was silly, and Freddie was a miserable conductor. Robin Williams is also terrifying. And nobody just takes an old theatre in NYC and turns it into a retreat for child music prodigies. And no child just jumps up to Julliard with 20 year olds. Anyway, I found it frustrating.

But then again, I'm picky. It's cute enough, and it made my mother cry. That must be some bizarre incentive, right?

I've decided I'm going to reproduce the film in about 20 years when everyone's forgotten about August Rush. It will be a beautiful thing...I hope...

No comments: