Monday, March 24, 2008

Ooooooooooo-klahoma

Hello friends. I had the pleasure of traveling to Oklahoma City this weekend with friend Laura Mclain and, no lie, I was expecting tumbleweeds and orange dirt. Alas, OKC was not quite as I had imagined. Though their arts district is diminutive (to say the least), it's full of character. We saw David Ives' "All in the Timing"--which was sublimely hysterical. Unamunda was suddenly my official language. "Squigi" and "Diddly" have entered into my common jargon. Needless to say, it was a highly entertaining experience.

Sunday I experienced a large, Methodist, family-style Easter. It was pretty entertaining. I love watching people (and let me tell you, Laura has some serious characters in her family) and Laura and I even gave a little recital for the fam. I always get nervous about meeting families of close friends or boyfriends etc., but I think it went relatively well. I made a date with her "Grandmother Beautiful" (wouldn't it be great if my non-existent future grandkids would call me 'grandmother beautiful?') in Dallas when Laura visits this summer.

Oklahoma is sort of like a small, less superficial, less nook-y Dallas. It's just a little bit less of everything. Still, that small taste of Dallas was enough to tide me over until next weekend.

This weekend I'm headed to the Big Apple (hooray!) I'll probably be seeing either Gypsy (with Patti Lupone), South Pacific (with Kelli O'Hara), or Crybaby (the new Hairspray collaboration). I am DEFINITELY seeing Spring Awakening. Am I excited? Oh my goodness, YES. I have waited to see it for far too long. I'm ready to hop on the plane NOW to see lovely Jonathon Groff and company singing Duncan Sheik chorale-style.

The only detriments to the excursion this weekend is that I'm missing the Bach B Minor Mass with Rhodes Singers (which would have been really neat) and Formal Week (three evenings of parties in a row) at pretty cool locations. Still, nothing beats NYC.

I'll be sure to tell you all of my adventures!
Until then!

No comments: