Sunday, May 18, 2008

Oh, American Theatre Wing...



Tony Noms are out. Sharpen those claws, little divas--it's going to be an interesting show.








I feel like the ATW is predictable in a certain sense: favor the more controversial/message-sending production, kick out the overly glossy/overly hyped up shows, and honor those that fall in between.




I can't decide if I wished I had seen In the Heights or not when I went to NYC. If I go in July to visit Bay (relatively unlikely, but one can always hope...) I'll have to see it. I just can't get myself to like it from the clips I've seen and heard. It seems like Latino RENT 2.0, with the addition of better choreography and a better book. Angsty lower class New Yorkers join together to rap/hip-hop out some quasi musical theatre/quasi top 40 hit sounding music to slap a message in your face. I can appreciate it as a period piece (the period being the present) and I can appreciate the book, but I simply do not like the music and (being more of a musician than an actress) I can't applaud the Tonys for favoring the theatre so greatly over the music in Broadway shows.




I know what you're thinking: BUT YOU LIKED SPRING AWAKENING! Yes, I did. In fact, I loved Spring Awakening. But it wasn't just a controversial message. It wasn't just a slap in the face. It was a beautifully told story with incredible choreography and beautiful, beautiful music. Sure, it was written by a should-have-been rockstar. But he did a great job. There's a difference...




Anyway, here are my thoughts about the rest of it:


I'm completely depressed about all of the Best Musical nominations. Cry-Baby seems only mediocre, Passing Strange sounds incredible but is NOT something I want for Best Musical--If you look at the winners of the "Best Musical" since the first Tony awards, they are all recognizable names. They're usually the most popular musicals of all time. Like I said, I'm not crazy about In the Heights--but I think they'll get it.




Passing Strange or In the Heights will get best book.




Gypsy BETTER get best revival or I am out to get the American Theatre Wing. Don't make me angry. I'm sure South Pacific is beautifully done. Trust me, I love Kelli O'Hara. But Patti LuPone deserves this. Boyd Gaines deserves this. And Laura Benanti DEFINITELY deserves this.




Lin Manuel Miranda or Stew will get Best Actor.




Patti LuPone MUST get Best Actress. She has to. I might actually cry if she doesn't.




I'm pretty indifferent about Featured Actor, but I desperately want Laura Benanti to get Best Featured Actress.




Scene Design to ITH or South Pacific.




Costume to ITH or Sunday in the Park




Lighting to Mermaid or South Pacific




I desperately want Gypsy to get Best Direction, though ITH of course is it's top competitor.




I'm positively giddy that Little Mermaid only had 2 noms and Xanadu 4, but it makes me nervous that South Pacific garnered more than Gypsy. I'm much more concerned about Revivals than Originals this year, which is interesting.




June 15th will be pretty darn exciting...






No comments: