Monday, February 14, 2011

Love Actually is All Around

You know what I've learned this Valentine's Day?

That I've been stupid and cynical all along.
That love is actually better than they portray it in the movies.
That bickering happens, but if you have someone you communicate well with and respect enough to sort it out, the result improves your relationship.
That a very messy and fly-by-the-moment girl can fall in love with a regimented, responsible boy.
That life is better with company.
That contrasting expectations are natural.
That plans will conflict.
That that's okay.
That if God takes away a certain amount of daily love you receive from someone, he'll give you an opportunity to replenish it in a new way.
That a terrible day can easily be turned wonderful if you have someone wonderful.
That even Katharine Gentsch (dos) can be a huge sap.

One year ago today, I was at my grandmother's graveside.  It was one of the saddest times I've ever had.  I wasn't having such a hot Valentine's day 2011 either, but this time around I had a smart, handsome man to cheer me.  I feel imminently better, just by virtue of the fact that someone cares enough to have an interest in cheering me.  I lost love in February 2010, but I found it there, too.  (Bobby unknowingly first asked me on a date the day grandmama passed away.)  Life goes on, love goes on.  And, as aptly written by Richard Curtis and said by Hugh Grant, "Love actually is all around."

Happy Valentine's Day, dears.  Hope it's as kind to you as it has been to me.

No comments: