Tuesday, July 19, 2011

And WHY isn't my life a Nancy Meyers film?

Confession: Despite the fact that It's Complicated (like most Nancy Meyers films) is a totally mediocre film, I raptly watch it every time it is available--like now, for instance.  I have no real explanation for this, outside of the fact that if Nancy Meyers (or Nora Ephron) are attached to a film, it's love.  Generally.  Meyers is like the cinematic equivalent of Elizabeth Berg.  Everything is so cozy in that world.  Women in Nancy Meyers films have lush gardens, great relationships/men (at every age), fabulous clothes, amazing girlfriends, and perfect gorgeous cozy homes.  And nice kitchens.  Always.  Money is never a struggle for the Nancy Meyers women. 

This slightly silly, out of reach, lifestyle is something I think I secretly aspire to.  Is that vain and stupid stupid?

I have no interest in playing Susie Homemaker, but I love entertaining and hostessing.  At this point in my life, however, I can't even fathom what it must be like to own a house.  It sounds preposterous.  I can't even imagine having my own apartment again.  Thanks to tour I won't need one thru April and then who knows?

You know what I wonder?  I wonder what I'll do after tour is over.  Will I live in Dallas?  Will another opportunity present itself?  Will I suddenly become hyper-ballsy and try New York?

...I don't think I'm ready for that yet.  Wonder if I'll ever be.

You know what is disappointing about the way I've handled my life thus far?  I've had such crazy ambitions and dreams since I was...well, for as long as I can remember, and I feel like I'm still moving at a glacial pace.  Nothing has happened.  I mean, I'm working.  But have I been lazy?  Could I have worked harder and been some entrepreneurial billionaire right now?

I have an intense craving to write something significant.  I don't mean that I want to write anything deep or epic necessarily--but something lengthy.  A book, or a screenplay, or something... I'm about to (strangely enough) have enough time on my hands where I could absolutely pool my excess energy into a big project.  But what should it be?

I think the real issue is that as soon as life slows down for a minute, I start panicking over the way I'm managing it.  I've just finished a stretch of 40 days straight of 10+ hours of work and suddenly (though I'm still teaching this week) I have time on my hands and a little anxious about the future.

Alright, time to start pondering my big project.  Until then, we'll just take life one day at a time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Concentrate on your present reality and life.
2) Concentrate on the future weekly.
3) Continue “positioning” all the time and always.
4) During September through April, make incremental progress on 2). “Run scared, work hard, and never gloat over anything.”
5) Efforts at “endless and always” positioning sometime take time; it’s a life-long effort and only stops when pushing daisies.
Best

Anonymous said...

Katherine, you are way too young to live a Nancy Meyers life- this is after age 50 and for many reasons.
In the meantime, slug away and enjoy the journey. You are in Chapter 1!
As a female in the entertainment industry for 30+ years, 20 of which were in Dallas, I would get the hell out of Dallas wasteland. Your talents and giftings will likely go underappreciated and under-rewarded, hence pushing the Nancy Meyer life further away. Unless you make a paradigm shift in Dallas culture and thinking which is always a possibility.
Don't be so hard on yourself, be happy and enjoy life. BEST is an overthinker! Could probably use some Tolle!
A FAN