Monday, December 17, 2007

Atonement

Joe Wright is brilliant. I am rarely pleased with film adaptations of books I've already read, but I loved Atonement. Dario Marianelli did the score (just as he did in Pride and Prejudice) and it has the most wonderfully haunting, eerie feel. I questioned whether he was truly talented or sort of a one-score man, and while his style is distinctive, the two scores are entirely different.

Because they had previously collaborated, I would assume, the synchronization of music and film is brilliant. There is no music in some of the most poignant parts of the film--scenes that would have been cheapened and glossed over if they'd had an accompanying score.

The editing is gorgeous and, as I've obvioulsy established, very music oriented. Similarly, the cinematography is mention-worthy. The lighting combined with cinematography (particularly at the scene at Dunkirk) and score is brilliant.

Thankfully, the actors didn't even screw up the beauty. Kiera Knightley has lately become a minor idol of mine. I already loved all of her work (particularly Pride and Prejudice), but I am entirely sold after seeing this film. Anyone who knows me understands my obsession with the 30s and 40s. Keira Knightley was a British Katharine Hepburn (who, as it turns out, is one of her idols!) and she pulled it off effortlessly.

Even more noteworthy, perhaps, was James McAvoy. Granted, I am entirely in love with him. I'd never seen him work quite this range of ages and emotions before, and it was truly impressive.

It's hard to adapt a beloved 400 page novel to film--especially if the book is as lush and detailed as Ian McEwan's, but Joe Wright handled it craftfully.

In essence, I loved it and was entirely pleased. I fully anticipate seeing it again and highly reccommend it to anyone considering seeing it.

(PS I am back in Dallas-hooray!)

No comments: