Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Update that Isn't a Retort to Silly Posts about Inspiration

Hello, all. I figured it was kind of silly to not post in a week and a half and then suddenly write this random post about inspiration without a proper update. The last three weeks have been a total whirlwind experience. I have a headache now and the computer screen isn't helping, so this will probably be brief.

Lipstick Lipstick spent six hours recording our CD at Young Avenue Sound. Though it was a bit of a grueling process, I'm more or less pleased with the way we sound/the CD in general. Carol of the Meows is pretty fun. Regardless of how we were, I'm in love with Young Avenue Sound. Not only is the space set up/decorated in the coolest way ever, but they have the most beautiful piano I have ever played. I literally skipped two meal breaks and sat at that gorgeous piano for an hour or so and played anything that came to mind. It was a wonderfully cathartic experience. The brightness/sound was just unreal. (Jason Robert Brown, who I've probably told you "feeds my soul", sounds particularly wondrous.)

The Golden Compass People, stop complaining about how it is Satan's movie. It's just not that bad. New Line has done a decent job of removing the "Atheist themes" from the film enough to keep pro-family groups content. It was a beautiful film (and it had a gorgeous score, so we all know that means I'm sold.) I now desperately want to read the book--I do find the religious (or anti-religious) themes to be really intriguing, so hopefully I can read it over break.

Atonement is a beautiful, beautiful story. It's a nice book to disappear to. I also bought a couple of tracks from the film score, so coupling that with my reading has been rather enjoyable. I'm not too far into it yet, but it shouldn't take too long. I need to finish it before I see the film (which looks equally beautiful!)

Singers has been exhausting. Wonderful, but exhausting. The real issue is that with three Lipstick concerts, recording, and five or so Singers concerts in three weeks, you get kind of tired of singing. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really am sick of it. The Singers concerts have actually been pretty nice--the interior of St. George's is beautiful. The acoustics were incredible, and we sounded (not to toot our own horn...) great. I'm a big fan of Lessons and Carols, so those two concerts have been fun. Christmas at St. Mary's was also beautiful. The last concert at Holy Communion was a bit of a mess. I could not keep a straight face. I was exhausted, sick of studying, and hoarse. I chuckled the entire time. Thankfully (or maybe not), I wasn't the only one. The entire choir was snickering and giggling from start to finish. Anyways, it's been an experience.

Exams have surprisingly enough, gone really well. One more to go. I'll keep you updated.

Break will be wonderful. I cannot wait to leave. I'm headed to Birmingham/Montgomery, Alabama for four days (which should be fun) then to Dallas for ten days (I am ecstatic!!!!!) and then to Chicago with CODA until the 7th. I'll be busy, but I cannot wait. I'm drained. I don't even want inspiration right now. I just want sleep!

No comments: