Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Arts Update

Hello Folks! Here's a brief update on the arts goings-on in my life...

Cabaret rehearsals are going well thus far--should be a really interesting show!

This Friday, I'm going to see the Dayton Dance Company--I am truly excited about this! I've never seen them, and apparently they're a feeder company into Alvin Ailey (WHAT?!) so it should be really enjoyable. Saturday night, I would LOVE to see AbunDANCE at Ballet Memphis so we'll see how that goes. I'll definitely let you know my thoughts afterwards.

Saturday mornings, John Weeden and I are continuing our "Weeden Arts Radio" (for which we could certainly use a better name.) Listen in at blogtalkradio.com!

Singers had an Encore Performance of the Armed Man Mass for Peace this last weekend and I believe the concert went extraordinarily well. It was pretty bittersweet, however, since our director, Tim Sharp, is leaving at the end of the year. He invited all of us to his house afterwards to have Barbeque and play Rock Band (ha!) Highlight of the evening: Dr. Sharp literally screaming out Van Halen whilst playing a video game with 18-20 year olds. Another highlight of the evening was a sing-a-long that (of course) happened. I found myself in the kitchen, snacking on cheese, and Dr. Sharp essentially commanded me to provide entertainment music in the living room. I willingly obliged, and of course swarms of wonderful attention hungry singers flocked to me and started singing along, and eventually Dr. Sharp joined in...(This is a really awful run-on sentence, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I'm simply conveying my excitement!)

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I started taking piano lessons this semester. Thus far they're going well, but I don't know how much I've progressed yet. I've decided I definitely want to continue piano, but also hopefully take voice and cello (at some point...voice before cello.)

Nicole Baker (a flutist in my music theory class) and I are about to start teaching music classes at a local elementary school. Should be an adventure!

Video-ing has sadly been put on hiatus due to extreme business, but I promise to post videos as soon as I have them/figure out how to upload them..


That's about it--thanks for reading!

1 comment:

John Weeden said...

I can never keep up with everything that is going on with you! Teaching flute classes to elementary kids? What?! Where!? When?! Dr. Sharp singing Van Halen, sing-a-longs in the kitchen with the rotel dip?!!! WHO ARE YOU!?