Wednesday, April 23, 2008

She has it in her to become whatever she is believed to be. We must think the best of her.

While I am incredibly ready for this semester to end, I am far from ready for this Novel of Manners class to come to a close. It has really been one of the most positive aspects of the entire year. I have loved the texts we read and I excitedly anticipate each class discussion. I often find myself bored with school (let's be honest--who really wants to spend a semester studying monks and the Aeneid?), but this class is a complete exception. I've also really enjoyed my theatre class. (Yes, all of you folks who witnessed my skepticism in the beginning of the year can say 'I told you so' now.) It was a huge challenge and haven't fared nearly as well as I would have liked, but I have made a sincere and total commitment to the class. Music Theory is the same challenge as always--dispelling the mystery of music, presenting troubles as it is more mathematical than literary... However, I feel once the series is over I will be glad I suffered through it all and will move on to more specific musical subjects that interest me.

Juxtaparty wasn't quite the event I envisioned largely due to a few time constraints and pesky weather, but all things considered I was pleased with the event. The team was incredibly helpful and supportive, and those who came throroughly enjoyed it.

New York part 2 still probably will wait for a while. You know that glorious feeling of holding in secrets? Or stories that you don't want to even tell your best friends because that memory--or reverie, almost--would somehow be dispelled or disenchanted if you revealed it to another? Those are my sentiments about New York. I wish to keep it on its hazy pedestal buried in my memory. I want to keep it something that belongs solely to me. So, until I keep it for myself long enough, I'm keeping it concealed. Sorry, friends.

What else is new? I'm excited for the summer, but nervous about how I'm going to make enough money to
a) pay my mother back for the exorbitant amount of debt I have
b) potentially have enough money to go on a small trip with friends this summer
c) enough money for next year
AH! If anyone has any ingenious ideas, they are more than welcome! Here are my current ideas:
a) work at Starbucks in the mornings
b) work for a wedding planner? (How hysterical would that be?)
c) be a waitress
d) Try to get involved with DCPA (Dallas Center for the Performing Arts)

If you have any other brilliant ideas let me know!

I need to go to class (novel of manners--yippee!) soon, but I have to end on a note that I am now TERRIFIED by facebook.

I was primarily freaked out by "statuses," that you could see exactly what people were doing when they were doing it. Now, Facebook chat has been launched. I don't remember who I was discussing this possibility with earlier, but I am terrified. You can now stalk people, email them, look at their pictures, know what they're doing at this exact moment, and chat with all your friends ALL on website at once. I am TERRIFIED!

Okay let's end on a positive note...

Two of my favorite quotes of all time:
"Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty." -Anne Hebert

"I am often so clever that I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying." - Oscar Wilde

No comments: