Wednesday, August 31, 2011

All I Need is One Good Break

It's not that I don't enjoy being a chorus girl.  I do, really.  In fact, in some shows there's really nothing I'd rather be.

It's just that I'm ready to try something new.  Be more integral in the story of a show.  To not just perform.  To sing.  To act.  To communicate outside of a smiling ensemble. (To step out of my comfort zone.  To be afraid.  To be challenged.)  I have a theatre degree; why not use it?

What is it that releases you from the duty of paying your dues?  Working long hours for minimal/no pay?  For schlepping scenery?  That gets you out of the chorus?  That entitles you to at least a shot?

Is it grad school?  Is it more training in general?  Is it a better body?  Is it ballsiness? Is it getting out of Dallas?  Is it hopeless?  (If so, I think my chorus girl years..with some exceptions..may be limited.)  I'm growing restless.  Not turning into a diva.  Just feel like I'm kinda stuck in a hamster wheel, you know?

As always, any applicable advice is appreciated.  And thanks for continuing to muddy through this angsty, soul-searchy, career-growth-spurt with me.

2 comments:

Abigail Wilson said...

Katharine,
I know that I don't know you as well as a lot of your friends do, but seeing as how you babysat me a lot when I was little and that your younger sister is like my big sister, I thought I would give you some of my advice. First, there are people out there that feel just like you do (namely, me). It's refreshing to know that there are others out there just like me that are questioning if what they are going into is the right thing. Even though I'm just a freshman, I have so many ideas and passions and trying to decide which to pursue is a toughie. But anyway, enough about that. My point is, I was reading some of your earlier posts and based on that, what I know about you from Truett, Abby, and your mother, and the little bit I know about you personally, you are an awesome, wonderful person who has friends and family who adore you, and who is very smart and talented, as well as an awesome babysitter. :p Things may seem confusing and bleak right now, but the truth is that you are very talented, and you know that. You wouldn't get as many opportunities as you have in a city such as Dallas if you weren't. So try to keep your chin up and think about all the things you ARE good at, and the reason why you love theatre as much as you do. Because the love of it is why you do it. Oh, and one more thing, I don't care how old you get, I will always think of you as Katie-Beth :)

Abigail Wilson

Anonymous said...

If you have a modicum of talent and a work ethic, you are going to make it. Best