Thursday, July 17, 2008

Updates

So I started working at Starbucks. It shouldn't be a surprise to any of you all that (of course) I absolutely love it. I should probably be checked out because I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people in this world who gets an adrenaline rush from pulling espresso shots. It's glorious. My co-workers are fabulous, I sample every tea and coffee and pastry, and I can make a ginormous drink a day for myself. Plus, the customers are awesome (particularly Alberto who comes every morning.)

In other news, I'm ready to pee in my pants I am SO excited for the West Side Story revival. Guys, I've only seen one live production (and it was actually pretty amazing) but this could possibly top my favorite musicals of all time. I can't wait to see it at Lyric, but I WILL be seeing it on broadway. Besides, Arthur Laurents (love of my life/recent director and librettist for Gypsy) is directing. Here's what he said: "This show will be radically different from any other production of WEST SIDE STORY ever done. The musical theatre and cultural conventions of 1957 made it next to impossible for the characters to have authenticity. Every member of both gangs was always a potential killer even then. Now they actually will be. Only Tony and Maria try to live in a different world."

The fine arts fac from Hockaday/St Marks are up in New York for the Broadway Teachers Workshop. They've already met Lin Manuel Miranda, Stephen Schwartz, Jason Robert Brown, and seen [Title of Show], In the Heights, and August Osage County. They gave rave reviews for ITH and Osage County, with mediocre reviews for the new to broadway post-modern [Title of Show.] I find music for both ITH and TOS absolutely addicting (for different reasons) and cannot wait to see both.

I need to make it to NYC sometime within the next couple of months or I will go absolutely insane. Now that I have jobs/have learned the beauty of saving money while living frugally, I should be able to do this!

Billy Elliot should be interesting. I have watched Liam Mower in videos endlessly, and love his dancing/adorable voice, but the music isn't astounding. After all, it's Elton John.

9 to 5 makes me nervous, but it should be pretty fun. Shrek's music will be awesome because Jeanine Tesori is a goddess, but could have a terrible book. Saved looks ridiculous and awful. Spiderman is pretty much the worst idea ever. Damn Yankees at Encores should be fabulous because Jane Krasinski (spelling si vous plait?) is Lola! Hoorah!

I know everyone in the world loved Jersey Boys besides me (and I do enjoy the music and honestly I LOVE Mamma Mia as the guiltiest of pleasures) but I am SICK of jukebox musicals and movies made into musicals. Stop it, you fiends!! Let's get some original work in here! Geez louise!!

SYTYCD is tonight and I CANNOT wait. NappyTabs better be choreographing (and Mia Michaels, though that seems to be hit/miss.) If you guys have been missing out, check out some of Tabitha and Napoleons dances like:
No Air
Bleeding Love
Closer

Tyce Diorio:
Broadway

I'm excited about tonight. Faves are still Katee, Josh, Chelsie, Will, and Twitch. The rest can go.

As for Legally Blonde: The Search for Elle Woods (yes, I watch it. Trust me, it's MUCH better than the ridiculous Grease show though still a bit absurd...) I'm a huge fan of Autumn's (I saw her as Beth in Little Women the tour two years ago 14 times...no seriously) and think she's amazing in all aspects (though too smart to play Elle, I think...) I think she's a leading lady, but maybe not for this show. I was seriously rooting for Lauren (though she's only 18), but it looks like Bailey's a crowd favorite and will probably get it. She's adorable, but I'm sorry she's just not talented enough. Step it up, sister.

I'm insanely excited about mamma mia (largely due to my obsession with Meryl, Pierce, Colin (though he looks dreadful in this), and Dominic (who apparently can't sing but is gorgeous and british) and excitement over seeing Amanda Seyfried in a different kind of role.

Okay that's enough musical theatre ramblings, but basically: life is good, I'm a little nervous about the fall but it's a good nervous, and I need to go to New York. More updates later!!


1 comment:

C said...

please don't be weirded out....

but almost everything you wrote, i agree with. west side story, jersey boys, autumn, shrek, billy elliot, the whole lot of it.

you're pretty fab. why did we never meet each other at school?