Saturday, December 26, 2009

Dad's "Katie Beth Stories"

From the time I was 10 months old to the time I was five years old, my dad kept a mini journal of my silly doings and what I was like as a small child.  Maybe I'm self centered for this curiosity, but I really wonder what I was like as a child.  Judging from these stories that I have just now read at 20 years old, I was always mischievous and precocious.  I think my little tricks and quirks were probably far more charming as a small child.

A couple of my favorites....

May 1991: She watches movies serially.  The first movie she really watched was Mary Poppins.  We probably watched it two entire times a day for a month (but always in bits and pieces.)  At the end when Julie Andrews is floating away back to the sky, Katie Beth would say, "Bye Poppins." [Julie, me love you long time.  We're going on 18 years now.]

August/Sept 1991: She would toddle in each morning.  Kay was pregnant and usually still asleep.  I would have "Business Morning" on and Katie Beth would trot over and say, "Watch news."  She would sit next to me for 10-15 minutes watching business news.

April 8, 1992: When Katie Beth gets in trouble or gets her feelings hurt, she'll say "I'm sad of you."...She is a bundle of energy, as always.  She takes her time waking up in the morning.  Puffalump in one arm, she wakes up slowly.  As I told Kay, though, the "Crankiness has a certain charm."

May 1, 1992: I said, "Daddy loves Katie Beth."  She said, "Why thank you, daddy."  [I love this one. I was 2.]  KB wanted to eat and I was dealing with Abby.  She said, "Daddy, you go relax ad I will eat." (What does this two year and ten month old child know about relaxing?)


May 12, 1991: We put Katie Beth to bed these days and about five minutes later we hear her quietly rattling outside our door.  We "ignored" her last night and she spend five minutes working her way to our bed (with about five puffalumps)  When she was at the foot of the bed resting her head on it, I saidk, "Katie beth, what are you doing out of bed?"  She rolled her eyes and said, "Well, let me tell you.  Uh....probably, I was scared."  She then looked at us hopefully to see if we would buy it. (Nope.)

May 31, 1992: KB used a few bad words over the weekend.  The worst was "Stupid"  We asked her where she learned these words and she said, "Grandmama."  [This CRACKS me up.  If anyone knows my grandmother, you know how ludicrous this is!!]

June 23, 1992:  I was sitting on the couch holding Abby and "flying her" over to Katie Beth, who was sitting with Puff on the couch.  I put Abby's face (mouth) to Katie Beth's and said, "Give Katie Beth a kiss."  I waited for a moment.  KB got a surprised and hurt look and said, "She ate my face."

June 27, 1992: John Robert was outside mowing.  Katie Beth, playing inside, "tooted" several times in a row.  She said, "I sound like John Robert's lawnmower." [OMG, really, small Katie Beth?]

September 26, 1992: "Cruella Deville is not a good Christian, but I like to watch her."

March 10, 1993: Kb loved our trip to San Antonio.  She talked non-stop the whole trip.  She had to do everything; ride a boat on the Riverwalk, jump on her hotel bed, ride a camel at the zoo, feed the ducks.  She loved it.  She sobbed as we were driving away, "Goodbye Embassy Suites. I had fun there."

December 6, 1993: The toilet in our room broke and Kay had the top off.  Katie Beth saw it and said, "Did you have a really big poop Mommy?"

April 5, 1995: I am saying goodnight prayers with KB.  I Say, "Thank you God for all the things that Ktaie Beth can do: ride her bike, do art pictures, read, do numbers..." KB breaks in, "and write"...so I say "and write" and after a few seconds she says, "very well."  Oh, yes.  That Katharine.  Full of confidence.

No comments: