Monday, December 14, 2009

Today

Hi all. Boring update post here. Nothin' special.


Here's what's up:
  1. Had Sisters Rosensweig auditions last night. Sat on the other side of the table. Nearly peed my pants from the excitement. Guys, I am a director. I really am. It is what I love to do more than absolutely anything on this planet. It doesn't mean that I want to stop performing/writing/whatever else, but it means that I felt something last night that I hadn't felt since I directed L5Y and SoM at Hockaday. I'm talking heart pounding in your chest, anxious giddiness, adrenaline rushing kickassness. I love the possibility of assembling/coordinating this gorgeous puzzle that could potentially become art.
  2. Because I was on such an insane high from auditions, I didn't go to sleep until 5am last night/this morning. That was kind of lame. But I got a lot done. Put together a bit of a packet for Rosensweig--background dramaturgical stuff. Went through the play and found all references with which I was unfamiliar, found clips of the music, etc. Then I set up a blog for Marianne Galloway (director of Rosensweig/is in Sanders/was in Guys and Dolls and has an eerily parallel life history à mon histoire. C'est tellement bizarre). She had a blog back in the day on Myspace (right? who even uses that anymore? That's right: no one) and expressed interest in getting back to blogging. So I set up this lovely blog for her here: Send her some love. She's a for realz genius, y'all, and one of the most compassionate people I've ever known.
  3. Lesson from Rosensweig Audits: a) don't judge your character b) do your homework. know your shit. seriously. c) don't overthink--don't show you're working, don't be presentational. d) be gracious and lovely. e) sometimes, it ain't about your read. it's about type and character and you can't take it personally. you really can't.
  4. Playreading Extravaganza continues. Today: Christopher Durang. 6 Plays. O.M.G. I hope I like his work.
  5. And now: Coffee, plays, Jourdan Hurst playtime, and seeing potentially two movies.
  6. I FREAKING LOVE CHRISTMAS BREAK. IT IS CREATIVITY-PALOOZA AROUND HERE!


Maybe I should get back to writing my musical. Hmm.

No comments: